Monday, April 24, 2023

Flower Paths Finished (Nearly)!

As usual, it still needs a label and to be bound, but the quilting has been finished and I've trimmed off the excess. I tend to let a few quilts pile up because it is more efficient to make multiple quilt labels at once. I'm happy to get this one done before the end of the month, as this was my one monthly goal.

I initially played with an intricate design where I quilted all the blocks individually, but I struggled to come up with a good design for the borders so I decided done was better and settled for an edge-to-edge design. I used Christy Dillon's Garden Fairies pantograph that I purchased during their last sale. (I bought so many great patterns from them recently, it was difficult to choose which one to use.)


I used Quilter's Dream Green batting for this quilt; it is my batting of choice because it is made from 100% recycled bottles. And I used inexpensive Maxi-Lock serger thread in dark purple because I've had good success with it. 

I designed this pattern in Electric Quilt and I used fabrics already in my stash. I'm really trying not to buy any more fabric this year. I'm quite happy with how well this project turned out.

I'm linking up with 

One Monthly Goal Finish
Brag About Your Beauties
Finished (or Not) Friday
Friday Foto Fun
Off the Wall
Peacock Party
TGI Finished Friday
Whoop Whoop!

Monday, April 17, 2023

Flower Paths Progress

After I finished our taxes, I had time this past weekend to work on my One Monthly Goal (OMG). This quilt has proved to be more challenging than I anticipated.
It has been slow going as it's been difficult to get all the blocks sized correctly. It actually took me three tries to get those half log cabin pieces made correctly as the rotary cutting was too imprecise. I finally resorted to foundation piecing to get some of the blocks sized correctly. (I really love Electric Quilt.)

I also made the tulip blocks with paper piecing but I forgot to take photos.

I'm hoping the border is more straightforward, but there are still some more triangles to fit together.
My plan for the coming week is to keep working on this project until it's finished. 

I'm linking up with 

Friday, April 7, 2023

Finger Lakes Log Cabin Finished!

This is Judy Martin's Finger Lakes log cabin pattern, but I don't really like that name so I decided to call mine Bordeaux Violette. (That's basically burgundy purple in French. I like how it sounded.) The pattern is available in Judy Martin's Log Cabin Quilt Book. I've become a big fan of her patterns and this is the third of her quilts I've finished.

It's a generous queen size and really too big for one person to hold but my husband did the best he could. This quilt was made with a set of fabrics I'd been hauling around for years. I did find a label on one of the edges of one of the set fabrics and it said Fabric Traditions 2001, so I guess this set of fabric is over 20 years old.

I quilted it primarily with the Trellis set of pantographs by Karen Thompson. I chose this plan because I thought I could do a good job stitching it on there. It was time-consuming cropping all those edge pieces, but the project was a pretty straightforward block-by-block job. This is basically the plan I used, but I filled in all those empty triangle spots with cropped edge pieces.

I used Quilter's Dream Green batting for this quilt. It's my go-to batting because it's made from 100% recycled bottles. And I used Glide thread in their Raisin color, though I wish I'd also purchased a creamy yellow color to use in the dark areas so the pretty quilting would have shown up better. 

Since I'm quite sure this will be one of my favorite quilts, I also made a couple matching pillowcases and a matching dress for Louisa, our stuffed dog. LOL

I'm linking up with

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Ready to Track My Fabric

During the pandemic, I bought a lot of fabric. Way too much. I got a couple of major scores off craigslist during the year plus all the stuff I bought new online. After spending two weeks ironing fabric and not getting through it all, I decided it is time to do something about my fabric-hoarding tendencies.

So, in January I started tracking my fabric usage. I'm hoping this will help prevent me from mindlessly buying more fabric when I don't really need it. 

I am not going to track to the exact inch; I've been rounding each project to the nearest quarter yard. And I don't know if I'll post every month, but I will try and post at least once a quarter.

Fabric In:

34 yards. I made one purchase at the beginning of January during the holiday sales: $184.63

Fabric Out:

50¼ yards (37 yards was for backings)

Net Out for Year:

16¼ yards out

Linking up with Quilt Paint Create